Re: Get loss with terminology

From: Andreas Stephan <as.stedat_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:07:36 +0200

Hi Yanick,

the repository is a schema in an Oracle Database (a bunch of objects like tables, indices etc.).
You have first to create this objects using the management server tools. If I remeber correctly
when installing the mgmt server ist asks for a database to put the repository in.

If theres an repository the mgmt server will connect to it automatically when the mgmt server service (the nt process) starts up. If this is succesfull (the database has to be up & running before) you can start the
management console (on your client pc or on the 2k server) and connect to the management server.
Sounds a bit complicated but works most of the time.

BTW try to avoid using svrmgrl and the "internal" user. In real 9i (on *ux for instance) it won´t exist any more. Use sqlplus /nolog and connect sys as sysdba instead.

hth
Andy

"Yanick Hudon" <yannik_at_sympatico.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OvNz7.9639$os1.1724183_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Since one week, i'm reading Oracle Documentation and finding answers
> my questions but now i'm loss.
>
> I know the difference between databases and instances in Oracle. I
want
> to start the listener and Management Server
> but i've got errors like cannot connect to management server, code
> VTK-1000. I've read here this cause of problem
> i don't have any repository configured.
>
> Now, here's my questions because i start to be loss:
>
> What's the difference between database, instances and repository??
> How can i start the OMS (Oracle Management Server) even if when i'm
> typing svrmgrl, it's starting??
>
> I'm using Oracle 9i Entreprise Edition (It's 8.1.7 release 3) in a
Win2k