Threads and OCI7/8

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_ait-mmii.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:41:21 -0400

Greetings,

I seem to be encountering a problem accessing Oracle via a layer that is supplied over OCI7/8 from separate threads. My vendor has informed me that if you open a connection from one thread and access it from another, that problems can occur.

I have not seen read problems, however I have seen write problems.

Can anyone point me to a reference or discussion on this matter? I am on the Windows 32 bit platform (developing in NT 4.0 in fact), and have seen this occur with both Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 7.3.4 server where the client is Oracle 7.3.4.

Would saving a list of connections paired with the value from, say, GetCurrentThreadId "solve" this issue (i.e. when my app went to use a connection, do a "GetCurrentThreadId" call, and if it pairs up with a connection on my list, use that connection, else fire up a new one)?

Any discussion is appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff Kish Received on Tue Oct 16 2001 - 13:41:21 CDT