Re: Newbie Question

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 18:20:21 -0700

In article <3bcb7060_1_at_corp-news.newsgroups.com>, "Jack says...

>I am new to Oracle, trying slowly to teach my self it. I have an oracle
>book and some questions in the books seem to stump me. I am going to post
>the question and hope someone out there will be nice enough to provide the
>answer with a brief explanation
>
>QA:Produce a list of jobs for departments 10,30,20 in that order displaying
>job and department number.
>
>QB: List all the job-titles in department 10 and 20 that do not occur in
>both departments.
>
>The book only specifies a table named department, but it does not give any
>characteristics. It says to make one up as you go.
>As you can see this book is very confusing not specifying giving any tables
>for me to work with.
>If someone can help me out I would be very appreciative.
>thanks a lot!

actually, sounds more like you need a table EMP that has employees in departments (else you would have no job titles)

Anyway, just run demobld.sql found in $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/demo. You'll get the nifty emp and dept tables from which you can do these queries.

(sounds like a loser book if the examples are like that)