Re: How do I order by some of the rows in a column. Not all.

From: Philip Lijnzaad <lijnzaad_at_ebi.ac.uk>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 15:39:15 +0100

> Hi again,
> What if I want to search for another property (isbn) and still sort on
> title?

uhr, this looks contrived: an ISBN is unique, so the result set wouldn't need sorting ...

> Is that possible with your query? I can't make it work..

In general, that's trivially possible. Unless you're database management systems is very badly broken.

Something like

  SELECT title
  FROM books
  WHERE isbn LIKE '123-456-78%'
  ORDER BY author;

this should work fine (but I have to admit I didn't look at the queries).

                                                                      Philip
--
The mail transport agent is not liable for any coffee stains in this message
Philip Lijnzaad, lijnzaad_at_ebi.ac.uk European Bioinformatics Institute,rm A2-08