Linux 8i/9i Install/Next button

From: J. Klapste <jklap_at_isis.visi.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:56:14 -0500

All,

I ran into a problem with weekend attempting to install Oracle 9i (and also happens with my copy of 8.1.7.1).

The problem: Upon launching the installer (runInstaller) you get the splash, followed by the initial page, but only two of the 7 buttons work (Uninstall & About). Exit, Help, Installed, Prev and the Next buttons don't. Kinda of hard to install when you can get to the second page ;)

Searching the web and the newsgroups showed others have had the same problem, but none of the proposed solutions worked, which included: 1. Install a JRE/JDK before hand (which doesn't matter, as 9i uses it's own for the install, but tried it anyway, including replacing the startup scripts with a modified one that run my JVM) 2. Run a different window manager (tried everything I got, Icewm, KDE, Gnome, etc.. to no avail)
3. Run from disk/run from cd (I ran from disk, CD, iso image loop'ed back)

Plus several others (oracle user vs something else...etc..). I wouldn't consider myself an Oracle Guru, but I have been installing Oracle since 7.3.2 (man...talk about a tough installer there...). Nothing I tried made any difference.

Finally, after much digging and playing, it seems like the Oracle Installer does NOT like numlock on. Yeah, numlock. What a way to end a weekend.

Haven't finished the install yet (90% through), but farther than before ;)

-J

Though I don't believe it matters, here is my setup:

Mandrake 8.1
PIII 850
768MB RAM
1GB swap
Oracle 9i 9.0.1
Oracle 8i 8.1.7.1
JDK 1.3.1 Received on Mon Oct 15 2001 - 00:56:14 CDT