Re: Does Oracle8i have any advantages over Oracle9i?

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:18:16 -0400

jacob nikom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not very experienced Oracle user and I am starting
> to develop 3-tier database application on Oracle using
> Win2K (may be Linux). Do I have any advantages by NOT
> choosing the latest Oracle9i, but instead using more
> proven Oracle8i?
>
> 1. Is licensing for 8i better than for 9i?
> 2. Are the support and documentation better?
> 3. Is it so much better product that I should
> use it anyway or I have to use it only if
> I need some specific new features?
>
> You thoughts will be greatly appreciated,
>
> Jacob Nikom

If you want to deploy nothing but 8i features, you should deploy 9i, because it will have more 8i bugs fixed than 8.1.7.

That being said, there is a posibility that some new feature may, as a side effect, impact an old feature. However, you will have a learning curve with either version, so you may as well go with the latest.

--
Phil Singer                |    psinger1_at_chartermi.net
Oracle DBA