Re: Justifying the Cost

From: Steve Evans <steve.evans_at_rwcwarranty.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:37:14 -0400

"Ban Spam" <ban-spam_at_operamail.com> wrote in message news:Xns91382F572924FSunnySD_at_24.0.3.73...
> You get what you pay for it.
> To lower your cost to ZERO,
> a couple of PD/Freeware DBs exist.

Sorry, I didn't give any specifics. I was talking about other solutions for a front end and business logic for Oracle (or SQL Server) that might lower the cost. I have to present this to the Pres. and VP so I need something objective. I'm thinking in terms of multiple platforms and scalability but I don't have hard numbers. Like how big a box can you throw SQL Server onto and how many users will that support for an application with 3G+ of data in 164 tables, 177 screens and 190 reports? How much faster would Oracle run that same app on the same hardware. And obviously, Oracle doesn't have a hardware limitation since it will run on a mainframe. Or maybe SQL Server and VB would be just fine for that app. I'd find it pretty hard to believe if anyone on this list would ever offer that one, which I guess makes it all the more credible.

Anxiously awaiting comments,

...Steve Received on Fri Oct 12 2001 - 09:37:14 CDT