Re: Simple questions about Import/Export

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:56:38 GMT

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in news:mi2cst8h26gs4v3nbq8sui56441rcfecgu_at_4ax.com:

> Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com> wrote:
>

>>They way I clone my production DB is to shut it down.
>>Launch a whole bunch of "rcp" commands; one per file.
>>After all the rcp's have completed, I bring up "prod"
>>on both systems. This approach is certainly faster
>>than doing exports & imports.
>>

> My hope is that if using export/import, the database does
> not have to be shut down. And copying one dump-file
> MUST be easier than copying a buch of files, whose names
> and paths need to be entered in the command.
>
> Thanks. Did not help.
>
> Rick

I have a SQL command that generates the script file with all the files in it. I clone a 75GB database in under two hours while the database is already down for OS backups & while backups are running. Regardless of the size of the DB, the rcp commands ALWAYS get done before the backups complete so there is NO delay in bringing Oracle back online.

I'm willing to bet you that export, copy, import will take 2 - 4 time longer and consume more system resources in the process. But since it is your system, you get to decide how it is used.

HAND! Received on Thu Oct 11 2001 - 20:56:38 CDT