libclntsh.so.9.0 problem: installation of Oracle9i on RHL 7.1

From: Neil Zanella <nzanella_at_garfield.cs.mun.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 00:22:35 -0230

Hello,

I am still having trouble with libclntsh.so.9.0 but at least the Oracle Universal Installer did not seem to complain this time...

First I ensured that I had 400MB /tmp partition, 512MB RAM, and enough space on the /usr partition. Then I downloaded the files Linux9i_Disk1.cpio, Linux9i_Disk2.cpio, and Linux9i_Disk3.cpio from www.oracle.com after electing to download the Oracle9i Database collection of Oracle products for Linux.

I unpacked each of them under /usr/local/src with a command like:

cd /usr/local/src; zcat Linux9i_Disk1.cpio.gz | cpio -idmv

to obtain the three directories Disk1, Disk2, and Disk3.

Note that Red Hat 7.1 ships with glibc 2.2.2. Thus it should be possible to install Oracle9i but not Oracle8i on Red Hat 7.1 because Oracle8i requires glibc 2.1.

One thing that apparently helps installing Oracle9i database on RHL 7.1 is an upgrade of the binutils 2.10.91.0.4-1 RPM package to the following:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/binutils-2.10.91.0.4-1.i386.rpm rpm -Uvh binutils-2.10.91.0.4-1.i386.rpm

The Blackdown JDK 1.1.8 v3 found on mirrors such as:

ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/JDK-1.1.8/i386/v3/

seems to be built for glibc 2.1 thus I am skeptical about whether it would work with Red Hat 7.1 but luckyly it seems like the JRE 1.1.8 is installed by Oracle9i during Oracle9i's own installation under $ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8 .

I tried reinstalling after recreating the oracle user and its group as follows:

/usr/sbin/groupadd -r dba
/usr/sbin/groupadd -r oinstall
/usr/sbin/useradd -g oinstall -G dba -d /home/oracle -m -r oracle

and deleting and then recreating the following directory and resetting its permissions:

mkdir /usr/local/oracle
chown oracle:dba /usr/local/oracle

Then I updated the UNIX oracle user's .bash_profile to contain the following:

umask 022

export ORACLE_BASE=/usr/local/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/9.0.1
export ORACLE_SID=start

export CLASSPATH=$ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/lib:$ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/lib/rt.jar:$ORACLE_HOME/jlib/oembase-9_0_1.jar:$ORACLE_HOME/jlib/oemtools-9_0_1.jar export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_BASE/lib export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$ORACLE_BASE/jre/1.1.8/bin

Then I logged out and back in as the oracle user and ran the Oracle Universal Installer script. Apparently it is important to specify an absolute pathname to this script when installing it. Thus, as the oracle user, I issued:

/usr/local/src/Disk1/runInstaller

This time I was able to successfully install both the server, client, and utilities. The only problem I am having is that I keep on getting the following message when I try to run sqlplus:

sqlplus: error while loading shared libraries: libclntsh.so.9.0: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

Perhaps the reason for this is that I did not do an entirely fresh install. This is the same error I got last time. Perhaps I ought to reinstall RHL 7.1 and try the above procedure again.

Does anyone know where libclntsh.so.9.0 is supposed to come from?

Thanks,

Neil Received on Mon Oct 08 2001 - 21:52:35 CDT