Re: Our Online Backups SUCK!!!

From: Ron Reidy <ron_at_indra.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 10:26:56 -0600

A Unix Admin wrote:

> I can not believe that I am posting this but, my DBA's must be insane. We
> have several databases for our ERP's. We also have business copy of all data
> wich means that we can mirror our data at any time. Now, the reason that I
> am writing this is we have had a few problems with backups. We split our
> BC's while the database is running and no we do not do any alter tablespace
> or anything else, What they depend on is after the split, we bring the
> database up on a seperate system and do a recovery. It works most of the
> time but occasionally, the recovery fails. Now, I am not a DBA, but this
> seems a bit risky. They want to implement RMAN with OmniBack, but have not
> finished testing. I would love to go to RMAN but until this happens, we are
> stuck with this lunacy. Can someone please give me some opinions on this
> approach.
>
> Anonymous Unix Admin

I was an admin for 2 terabyte+ DSS systems. We used EMC BCVs (triple mirror) and we always broke the third mirror without putting any tablespaces in backup mode. We then mounted the split mirror to a second sun box and performed the backup. When the backup was complete, we re-established the mirror and EMC re-synched.

I tested the backups weekly on a third sun box. I never had an issue.

If I would have ever had a backup fail to restore, I would have considered all backups suspect. Your DBAs are playing with fire, and they should know it. I would hate to be them in case of a failure.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA