Re: Our Online Backups SUCK!!!

From: Sean Fitzgerald <sfitzgerald_at_centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:20:59 -0700

An easy way to use "split mirorrs" is

  1. synchronize the mirrors
  2. issue "alter tablespace xxx begin backup" for each tablespace
  3. split the mirors
  4. issue "alter tablespace xxx end backup" for each tablespace

Your database is in backup mode for only a few minutes at most and thus the bad effects (generating blocks of redo) are minimized. I don't know why anyone would go through the pain of a recovery every day just for a backup.

Incidentally, if you use omniback with RMAN and split mirrors you will do exactly the above steps. Once the split mirrors are mounted on a backup server, the database is put into mount mode and rman is used to backup the files. Oracle has several white papers on this and there are already pre-built omniback utiltity scripts to achieve all of this. I am currently using this method on a 3-node (all active) HP V2600 cluster running Oracle 8.1.6 (OPS). We have the cluster using an XP512 disk array with the business continuance volumes. The split mirrors are mounted to an L2000 for backups (using RMAN and omniback). Received on Mon Oct 08 2001 - 00:20:59 CDT