Our Online Backups SUCK!!!

From: A Unix Admin <sombody_at_somewhere.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 01:07:15 GMT

I can not believe that I am posting this but, my DBA's must be insane. We have several databases for our ERP's. We also have business copy of all data wich means that we can mirror our data at any time. Now, the reason that I am writing this is we have had a few problems with backups. We split our BC's while the database is running and no we do not do any alter tablespace or anything else, What they depend on is after the split, we bring the database up on a seperate system and do a recovery. It works most of the time but occasionally, the recovery fails. Now, I am not a DBA, but this seems a bit risky. They want to implement RMAN with OmniBack, but have not finished testing. I would love to go to RMAN but until this happens, we are stuck with this lunacy. Can someone please give me some opinions on this approach.

Anonymous Unix Admin Received on Sun Oct 07 2001 - 20:07:15 CDT