Re: Oracle performance issue

From: Greg <greg_at_ostnet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:44:54 -0400

From the sounds of it...I would bet your High Water Mark on the table(s) on which you are performing the select Count(*) are way too high...What this means is that significant Inserts and Deletes have occured on the tables in question
and you should rebuild them...Either export and re-import the data or try the rebuild command from oracle...The machine seems to be a bomb and should respond instantaneously to a select count(*) regardless of the size of the table...Or you have an incredible high number of extents on both the table
and the related indexed for the table.

Hope this helps

Greg Vitetzakis V Greg Vitetzakis V.P. Professional Services OSTnet (Open Source Technologies Inc.) www.ostnet.com "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3BBB8AA9.3A34_at_yahoo.com...
> Mauro Minomizaki wrote:
> >
> > "Tom Hoffmann" <tom.hoffmann_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > > Well, you have told us virtually nothing about your environment, so
all
> > > I can give is a general response.
> > >
> > > According to IBM, 80% of a database's performance is determined by the
> > > database design and the application programming.
> > >
> > > Of the remaining 20%, the factors affecting performance are machine
> > > memory, Oracle SGA size, aio configuration, disk speed, channel speed,
> > > and processor speed.
> > >
> > > If you want to share some more info with us, maybe we can offer more
> > > practical suggestions based on your configuration.
> > >
> > > I would recommend upgrading to 8.1.7. There have been significant
> > > improvements with how Oracle uses aio servers under AIX in the last
few
> > > releases.
> >
> > Thanks for the information!
> > I will try to give you more detailed information about my environment...
> > I've got a p680 12-way 600MHz with 20GB RAM, this server handles a large
> > medical insurance database and it does 95% of its time read in the
database.
> > Previous server was an RS/6000 S7A 12-way 262MHz with 8GB RAM, and we
> > noticed no better or even worst performance when we updated servers.
Both