Re: Accessing Oracle

From: Teresa Redmond <pixelmeow_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 16:52:04 -0400

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:40:33 GMT, "John Fu" <zenki198_at_yahoo.com.au> quoth:

>I need help urgently. I have been developing my system to work with Access
>all along, and suddenly, my clients changed their minds to use an Oracle
>database. But I know very little about accessing Oracle databases through
>ASP. Can someone give me some examples of accessing an Oracle database
>through the use of ASP? What do I need to do, or what code do I need to
>connect to the Oracle database? And after connection, what kind of code
>will I be needing to do the searches on Oracle.
>
>If possible, can someone tell me a quicker way of changing an Access
>database into an Oracle database?
>
>Thanks in advance.

I just recently went through the job of setting up the ODBC Data Source, in Control Panel, so that I could use Visual Basic to connect to the Oracle Database. There are a few steps to this, but if you can get it right, you should have no problem. I was able to walk a co-worker through the setup over the phone and get our software running on their machine inside half an hour...

Anyway, step one is to get all the info you can about the Oracle db. Is it installed? Is there a database configured inside Oracle that you can access for your code?

There's a whole lot more to it than that; please feel free to email me at tredmond_at_anteon.com and I will be happy to go over setup with you. You need to set up the tables, the sequences (there's no auto-increment in Oracle), the triggers, and anything else you need *before* you even get to the point of accessing the db with your .asp code. Just email me and let me know what is set up so far and we'll go from there.

--
Teresa Redmond
Associate Software Engineer