Re: Package Trade-offs?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 19:09:30 +0100

Mike Fotiou wrote:

> Recently, our DBA recommended that we use packages as little as
> possible. Her primary concern was excessive memory usage
> because the entire package is loaded into memory the first time
> a call is made to one of its members.
>
> From what I have read, subsequent memory executions will
> actually increase performance.
>
> Does the memory overhead of packages prohibt their use in a
> multi-user environment? Is the solution as simple as ensuring
> that any packages created are kept as small as possible? What
> are the general guidelines, from Oracle and other users, for
> using packages.

That information is very outdated - a long long time ago packages were loaded in a single chunk (I won't go into the fact that with the old versions of Oracle, this was a good thing because of the shared pool internals), but in any event, nowadays you'll rarely see anything loaded into memory in sizes more than 4k

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald