Re: tnsnames question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:33:15 +0200

"Bryce Fischer" <bfischeATtb._at_rr.com> wrote in message news:ec9mrt0lmbnbh4v6mvha0dsa2g203525h4_at_4ax.com...
> I recently did an Oracle installation for a client of mine, and it
> raised some questions that have me somewhat confused.
>
> The client's original system was Oracle 8i served on a Novell system.
> The system I setup was an oracle 8i on a Windows 2000 system.
>
> When I created the TNSNames Entry using Net8 Assistant, I noticed that
> it appended .CO.ALACHUA.FL.US, which happens to be their DNS suffix.
> It did this no matter which Server I created it for.
>
> Here's the part that confused me:
>
> When I try to connect to the original server, I need to specify the
> suffix in the connect string, but I don't when I try to connect to the
> new server...
>
> If anyone has any information about how this is working, I'd
> appreciate it... Any links, references, where to RTFM.
>
> Thanks
> --
>
> Bryce
>
> I am not what you would call a handsome man.
> God did not choose to bless with me with good looks,
> charm, or a fully functional brain.

The behavior of the domain parameter changed with 8i. pre-8i the value of sqlnet.ora's names.default_domain was automatically appended to almost anything including connect strings. This has stopped with 8i
What also has stopped was using the domain 'world' when no names.default_domain parameter was present in sqlnet.ora.

So most likely in *both* cases no one ever bothered about the domain, and this explains the difference in behavior. And, oh yes, of course this is documented in the Net8 Administrators Manual.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Oct 03 2001 - 11:33:15 CDT