tnsnames question

From: Bryce Fischer <bfischeATtb._at_rr.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:59:47 -0400

I recently did an Oracle installation for a client of mine, and it raised some questions that have me somewhat confused.

The client's original system was Oracle 8i served on a Novell system. The system I setup was an oracle 8i on a Windows 2000 system.

When I created the TNSNames Entry using Net8 Assistant, I noticed that it appended .CO.ALACHUA.FL.US, which happens to be their DNS suffix. It did this no matter which Server I created it for.

Here's the part that confused me:

When I try to connect to the original server, I need to specify the suffix in the connect string, but I don't when I try to connect to the new server...

If anyone has any information about how this is working, I'd appreciate it... Any links, references, where to RTFM.

Thanks

--

Bryce

I am not what you would call a handsome man.
God did not choose to bless with me with good looks,
charm, or a fully functional brain.