Re: ORA-12560 ERROR, WINME (please help !!!)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 3 Oct 2001 04:32:30 -0700

inluvwitiou_at_yahoo.fr (inluvwitiou) wrote in message news:<eb7ae965.0110022147.5a2643b8_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi everybody,
>
> First of all, apologises to raise up this problem which seems to be a
> very "old classic" in oracle world, but myself i rather have
> knowledges under SQl Server. Even though i saw lots of posts about it,
> i didn't find a solution that really matched my problem (everybody who
> posted a message around this, said that...).
>
> Well anyway, here is my configuration. I've got on a laptop two
> partitions, one with win2k, the second with winMe. I work in local
> but have got a network card for internet connections only.
>
> I installed Ora817 Enter. edition on win2k and it worked perfectly the
> first time with standard inst. But with winMe, i'm not able actually
> to make it run properly and receive this ora-12560 error protocol
> adapter each time i want to connect with SQL plus. I was first
> suprised that during the installation, on "choose installation type",
> the menu is totally different as on win2k. There was simply no
> "Enterprise edition" option but "Administrator", "progammer" or
> "client". I chose to run "programer installation".
>
> During inst. , I cancelled the network configuration and did it
> manually with NEt8 assistant. I also created there a really simple
> service name with the name of my machine as the host, tcp as protocol.
> Did the same for the listener and created a database, under database
> services.
>
> I think that the listener doesn't even start, so first question, how
> to start the listener under winMe ? Because if i run the standard
> commands under DOs, it doens't recognize it as commands !
>
> Thanks in advance for those who will spend some time to help me.

Let me guess.
You have the Enterprise Edition for Win2k and you have installed it on *both* Win2k and WinMe, without any access to the documentation. I'm not sure why you event want to install it two times on one machine, but anyway: There isn't any product of Oracle certified for WinMe, and you can't because of the ancestry of Win2k expect Win2k software to run on WinMe.
Win9x software runs on Win NT, not the other way around. win95->win98->winMe
win nt ->win2k
Two completely different productlines.
Secondly, if you have a database under win2k (which would be normal), the winMe install should function as an ordinary client. This means, as defined in the documentation: *NO* listener! You only need to configure tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora and of course you can just as well copy it from one directory to another. IIRC however, getting 12560 is a typical symptom for running the Oracle winnt implementation on win9x, so personally I would just forget about running Oracle on WinMe (you would need Personal Oracle 8i for win 98, and a hack to get it working), as you already have it running on Win2k

Having knowledge of Sqlserver doesn't mean anything in the Oracle world, it is rather a disadvantage, as almost everyone exposed to sqlserver thinks Oracle works the same way as sqlserver, so they don't need to read manuals, and they can just hack away. That is, as you already experienced, a *BIG* mistake.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Oct 03 2001 - 06:32:30 CDT