Re: Newbie SQL*plus (stupid question???)

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:06:32 GMT

Miklo wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've got a small problem,
>
> Logged in as user System in SQL*plus I've created:
>
> - a table test in tablespace tenr01,
> - Create user bill identified by passwrd default tablespace tenr01
> - grant dba to bill;
>
> when I excecute this query "select * from test" I get a result.....very nice
>
> but when I logged in as user Bill and I excecute that query it says "Table
> or view does not exist"..
> As user Bill I've got dba rights and my default tablespace is tenr01 (where
> table test is).
>
> can anyone help me please!!
>
> Greetings,
> Miklo

You need to study a bit more before you just start creating tables.

If you were logged in as SYSTEM when you created the table, then the table was created in the SYSTEM schema. When you logged in as BILL, your query did not find the table in the BILL schema and therefore failed. You apparently expected the dba grant to give you access to the table and actually it did, but you would have to specify the table as SYSTEM.TEST. What you really should have done is create the table while logged in as BILL. Also you should never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, create tables in the SYSTEM schema. That schema should only be used by the database engine itself. All user-created tables should be in some other schema. Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 06:06:32 CDT