Re: SYSDATE and timezone

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2001 03:52:46 -0700

In article <9p9gbt$f99$00$1_at_news.t-online.com>, "Nicolas says...

>I want to check the server time against the local time. Receiving the local
>time (using delphi) and the timezone is not the problem. But how to do it
>from Oracle?
>
>select sysdate from dual returns the current time including the timezone on
>the server. Or does I am wrong?

sysdate from dual returns the current time IN THE servers timezone (not including -- the timezone component is not available with sysdate).

In 9i, you can get a timestamp with timezone. In 8i there is no timezone support in the database.

see
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:452820143983

for methods to retrieve the server timezone using Java or C called from the database in 8i and 8.0.