Re: oracle client access Re: Net Assistant test ok, but command line login does not WORK

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 16:46:42 GMT

guxinhong_at_yahoo.com (simon gu) wrote in

> hmmm, I tried both global_name, and ora8 compatible sid. Both still do
> not work. Should I pay any attention to the sqlnet.ora.
> I presume a client net8 app parses TNSnames.ora for oracle server
> connection info, any other files or configturation tool that I need to
> pay attention.
>
> help, help...

I suspect that other may not agree with this post so HTH & YMMV.

As a general rule, it all depends.....
On the client there can be more then 1 tnsnames.ora files if more than 1 Oracle product has been installed. One possible solution to this siutation is to make sure that the contents of "them" always match each other.

It can depend upon the Version of the listener. It can depend upon how the host listener is configured; i.e. using SID= or using SERVICES=
It can depend upon iniSID.ora parameter value that control "GLOBAL NAME"

The sad reality is that all THREE pieces (TNSNAMES.ORA, LISTENER.ORA, & INITSID.ORA) files must agree & "support" each other; otherwise a connection will not result. Specifically, in some cases "PROD" is an acceptable "connect string" in another case you'd need to use PROD.WORLD, while in a 3rd case PROD.XYZ.COM is the required connect string.

So, it all depends......

HTH & YMMV! Received on Sat Sep 29 2001 - 11:46:42 CDT