Re: Restoring from Cold Backup

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:22:47 GMT

GREGORY KNESER wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running Oracle on Windows NT and my machine crashed. Fortunately, I
> have a cold backup. Unfortunately, I had to wipe my machine to bring it
> back up. Can anyone help me understand how to re-install the cold backup
> files into my newly created database?
>
> Thanks!
> Greg

Greg,

You do not mention a version of Oracle.
I will assume 8.1.7.

Re-install the Oracle binaries.
Apply all patches that were previously applied. Restore all of the datafiles, control files, log files and configuration files.
Please remember to restore the listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora in the folder %ORACLE_HOME%\Network\Admin and the init file in the folder
%ORACLE_BASE%\Admin\DEV\pfile\initDEV.ora

Once you have done so, you can create services, e.g. Listener - OracleOraHome81TNSListener
instance - OracleService%ORACLE_SID% - I'll assume that it is DEV.

start the listener service - OracleOraHome81TNSListener start the service - OracleServiceDEV

set the oracle_sid

C:\> set oracle_sid=DEV

C:\> svrmgrl

SVRMGR> startup mount

SVRMGR> alter database open;

(if recovery is needed - it will let you know).

hth,

Paul Received on Tue Sep 25 2001 - 02:22:47 CDT