Date formatting and Oracle 9i database...

From: ARP <sirapitt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:15:22 -0400

Need help with date formatting and Oracle 9i database...

I have an Oracle 9i database and have followed the documented instructions for setting the National Language date format as follows:

  1. Added the string NLS_DATE_FORMAT = "MM/DD/YYYY" to the initialization file for my database.
  2. Stopped and restarted the database, then checked the list of applied parameters in the Enterprise Manager to ensure that new parm is present.

When I query against a date column in my database [e.g. "select TO_CHAR(EVAL_DATE) from struct_tbl;"], I get the default date format being returned [i.e. "31-DEC-00"].

What else do I need to do to get a date format of MM/DD/YYYY returned from my query when I use the TO_CHAR() function?

NOTE: Using the extended version TO_CHAR(EVAL_DATE, 'MM/DD/YYYY') is out of the question since our software is used in many different geographical regions where date formats differ and I cannot therefore specify a date format in the program code.

Thanks for any help possible.

Austin Pitt. Received on Mon Sep 24 2001 - 21:15:22 CDT