Re: How to resize initial extent of a table?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 24 Sep 2001 06:58:36 -0700

Robert Fazio <dbabob_at_yahoo.nospam.com> wrote in message news:<Xns912646D7543FBdbabobyahoocom_at_24.12.106.199>...
> "Chris Neubauer" <water.world_at_gmx.de> wrote in
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I shrink the initial extent of my table, without re-importing
> > the complete database? I tried 'alter table ... deallocate unused', but
> > it did not work as expected ... are there any tricks?
>
> First of all, I would hope your DBA would understand how to do this. If
> your DB version is 8.1.6 or higher, you can execute: alter table ... move
> ... storage(...) tablespace same_tablespace;
>
> If your 8.1.5 or lower, and the table is a partition you can do something
> similar to the above, but if not. Export and import just that table.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sebastian

Robert gave a good answer. Next time you may want to ask the DBA to use the compress=n option on the export which would have kept the existing storage parameters instead of trying to pack everything back into a single extent on import as your DBA is obviously not using a uniform extent policy to manage space.