Re: Oracle Personal Edition - need help (newbie)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 19:14:31 +0200

"sws" <webmaster_at_stevenspage.com> wrote in message news:dO0r7.17219$w62.12230062_at_news1.denver1.co.home.com...
> Hello:
>
> I've recently downloaded both the Personal Edition of Oracle 8i and
> Enterprise Edition Rel 3 for Win2K. Both products give me the same
problem:
> I can't seem to connect to the database. Then it occurs to me (duh) - is
the
> database itself even included with these freeware products, or are we only
> getting the DBA Studio, SQL+ and other dev tools? I note that Oracle 9i
> database is listed by itself as a download at
> http://otn.oracle.com/products/. But no mention of an 8i standalone
> database.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Steven W. Sthole : mailto:stevensthole_at_yahoo.com

The database is included in both products though in different fashions. What makes you erroneously to believe otherwise? With Personal Oracle you are getting Sql*plus, Oracle Navigator, Oracle Objects for Ole and nothing else. A standard database product has never included front-end tools like Developer and Designer, and both run on NT/2000 only anyway.

Can't connect is a vague and broad statement. There are numerous causes for not being able to connect with numerous different error messages. You should post those error messages always, or you must expected not to be responded at all, as there are no newsgroup members provided with a crystall ball or other clairvoyance capabilities. Also, I think no one is keeping track of which version and platform everyone is running.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Sep 22 2001 - 12:14:31 CDT