Oracle and Netapps

From: Jeff <jeff_lee_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:00:11 -0700

Hi,

I just started a new job where they're using Netapps Filers for storage. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with them, and have a few questions.

I need to speak with the network guys to confirm this, but it seems like all the oracle directories (ORACLE_HOME, /u01, /u02, etc) are being shared between all the servers.

If this is the case, I had the following concerns:

  1. Disk contention: Seems like this would be a major problem.
  2. Single point of failure: If you needed to do any kind of maintenance, or had problems seems like you'd have to shut all databases down.
  3. Manageability of multiple versions: If you have multiple versions all residing under the $ORACLE_BASE/product/8.1.6, ../8.1.7, etc directory, and these are shared between all servers, seems like it would be a pain to remember which database is running which version.

Again, I'm not familiar with how Netapps work, so if I'm just looking for some comments from people already using Netapps.

Thanks. Received on Sat Sep 22 2001 - 12:00:11 CDT