Primary keys don't work?

From: Jan Doggen <massoft_at_tref.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:07:39 +0200

Hi everyone,

in Delphi 4 we're creating and accessing tables through the BDE and TCP/IP connections to an Oracle 8 database.
These tables have single-field primary keys, either created with

> CREATE TABLE
> CONSTRAINT PK_INDX PRIMARY KEY (fldname)
or
> CREATE TABLE
> followed by
> ALTER TABLE ADD PRIMARY KEY(fldname)

Sometimes the records are *not* ordered by their primary key: - if we use a Delphi TTable and jump to the last record it's not the last ID - if we use Delphi SQL Explorer to look at the data, the records are not ordered by the primary key field

The app is doing a lot of record appends, truncate tables etc. The app also runs on MS-SQL without problems, the code logic seems fine.

What could be going on here?
Is there such a thing as the index not being 'maintained' in Oracle?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions
Jan Received on Wed Sep 19 2001 - 14:07:39 CDT