named user license questions

From: Carl Mercer <cmercer_at_vibrant-1.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2001 05:13:20 -0700

We had an Oracle sales consultant come in and confuse us. I now have managers asking me more questions about Oracle pricing than before the visit.

Here are a couple questions that I don't have good answers for....

  1. If I have a 4 CPU Solaris server and I purchase a 10 named-user enterprise license, do I have 40 named-user licesnes (since named-user is per CPU) or do I have 10 named user liceses that I had to pay for 4 times?
  2. If I have a batch update process that runs batch loads in nightly, is that a single named user assuming it connects to the instance once? Is each piece of a multi-step batch process a seperate named-user license even if they connect to the instance with the same login?

2.1) What about if I have two instances that make up my application (one config and one data)? If my batch process connects to both the config instance and the data instance, is that two named-user licesnes taken up? Or is it one named-user license since the two instances make up the application I am licensing Oracle for?

Carl Mercer
cmercer_at_vibrant-1.com Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 07:13:20 CDT