Re: What does Oracle 8 Personal edition contain?

From: Steve Gouldstone <steve.gouldstone_at_rubbishbtinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:17:59 +0100

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:51:29 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" >>
>> Does the Personal edition of Oracle 8 include SQL*PLus and PL/SQL? The
>> online docs are a bit vague about what you get with it.
>
>Of course they do!! Please clarify why you think the online docs are 'vague'
>Can I create a standalone database on my PC with the Personal edition?
>> (Similarly, the specs talk a lot about accessing remote db's on
>> servers, but don't specifically say you can create a local database).
>
>Yes of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please try to read carefully the Getting
>Started Manual.

Thanks. That's good news.

I haven't got the product yet - all I have is the brochure which doesn't specifically say you can create a local db - it just lists loads of features about accessing remote dbs on servers and creating tables.

My vendor told me he 'didn't know' if you could create databases with it. I just wanted to be sure before I spent my 300 pounds - I didn't want to get it home and find I required a server connection to do some 'key' things!

Thanks again

Steve Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 10:17:59 CDT