Re: How to receive more detailed error information?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:11:37 +0200

"Chris Smith" <joker_5166_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:132368bb.0109140257.30169845_at_posting.google.com...
> Using Oracle 8.0.5 and sqlplus, I try the following:
>
> SQL> create procedure p1
> 2 as begin
> 3 select * from emp;
> 4 end;
> 5 /
>
> Warning: Procedure created with compilation errors.
>
> 1. How can I receive more detailed error information?
> 2. Was the procedure really created? I can't execute it...
> 3. How can I get an overview about existing procedures?
>
> TIA, Chris

1 show errors immediately after compilation or select * from user_errors where name = '<your procedure>'
2 No
3 select object_name from user_objects where object_type = 'PROCEDURE'

The very nature of your question betrays you must come from a sqlserver background and/or are not used to reading the PL/SQL manual. Please try to do so.
I will already give you two hints
- your procedure above is not going to work, ever, as stored procedures in Oracle don't work this way. To return a resultset look up the REF CURSOR topic in your pl/sql manual
- The worst thing you can do in Oracle is stick to your sqlserver/sybase habits.
Please try to learn Oracle. In Oracle procedures like this are uncommon, because they won't support array fetch.

8.0.5 has been desupported more than a year ago, and 8.0.6 will follow in 2 weeks. If you can, please upgrade to 8.1.7

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Sep 14 2001 - 06:11:37 CDT