Re: Newbie Question concerning ODBC-connection to Oracle

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2001 19:31:54 -0700

mniederj_at_gmx.de (Michael Niederjohann) wrote in message news:<3b9bbe30.27149799_at_news.uni-bielefeld.de>...
> Greetings!
>
> Iīm facing following problem: I want to connect to the Oracle database
> via a C-program which is using ODBC. This program is supposed to run
> under Unix and Windows. Because of this I canīt use any Microsoft
> specific code.

I'm really not sure you want to use ODBC for this. ODBC is a very Windows-centric Microsoft technology. Just about any ODBC driver you're going to use in the Windows world is going to rely on the infrastructure Microsoft has in place (such as the ODBC Driver Manager). Oracle doesn't produce an ODBC driver for any platform other than Windows.

There are a few companies that do provide Linux drivers-- http://www.unixodbc.com is an open-source project writing drivers, and Merant, I believe, has Linux drivers.

ODBC is designed for when you're trying to target multiple databases from a Windows client in C/C++/VB.
OCI is designed for when you're trying to target an Oracle database from multiple operating systems in C/C++. JDBC is designed for when you're trying to target multiple databases from a Java client.

Justin Cave Received on Wed Sep 12 2001 - 21:31:54 CDT