Re: Optimization of query finding related products for a certain product

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:11:42 GMT

Anurag,

> Whoever said that!! Though in this case, it might not bring any
 improvement.
> There are *some* cases in which using procedural method is the best way to
> go.

I agree completely with you, here.

With regard to EXISTS, I'm a little surprised. DEC Rdb always use to give me BETTER response with
EXISTS, when appropriate, because the optimizer had a special "fast first" algorithm it could use in that case.

My understanding was that the CBO put into Oracle V8 was heavily influenced by DEC Rdb's optimizer.
Oracle bought DEC Rdb in 1994, and called it Oracle Rdb. I wonder what went wrong with EXISTS.

I've never had such bad luck with EXISTS in Oracle, either. But I may not have put it to a severe enough test.

--
Regards,
    David Cressey