Re: Releasing an Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit application under the GPL

From: <brlewis_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 07 Sep 2001 10:44:00 -0400

seebs_at_plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:

> For instance, imagine a license similar to the GPL, but in which the
> Preamble to the GPL has been replaced with something else; let's call
> it the HPL. The HPL requires, just as the GPL does, that code
> licensed under it be distributed with it. Since the HPL is requiring
> you to distribute code with a thing which is not required when you
> distribute GPL'd code, it is "more restrictive", so you may not
> distribute GPL'd and HPL'd code together without some kind of
> relicensing.

Not true. In this case, the HPL is part of an "appropriate copyright notice" for the derived work. Section 1 of the GPL requires that you include it. If none of the terms of the HPL are "further restrictions" (Section 6) beyond those imposed by the GPL, there is no conflict.

--
Bruce R. Lewis				http://brl.sourceforge.net/
I rarely read mail sent to brlewis_at_my-deja.com