error in granting role

From: Simon Cunningham <cs40_at_gre.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:44:06 +0100

Hello everyone

got a small problem with granting a role and cant see the problem

created a role called msc amongst others and tried to grant it to a user but sql keeps saying it does not exist. Checked dba_roles and its there but when I tried to grant the role it says it does not exist. sql output below.
BTW oracle 8.1.7

not a serious issue but just would like to know why it does not want to grant this role????

Thanks in advance

SQL> select role from dba_roles;

blah blah

ROLE

COMP3
INFO3
MSC
COMP2
INFO2 27 rows selected.

SQL>
SQL> alter user el008 default role msc;
alter user el008 default role msc
*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01919: role 'MSC' does not exist

SQL> alter user el008 default role comp3;

User altered.

SQL> alter user el008 default role msc;
alter user el008 default role msc
*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01919: role 'MSC' does not exist

SQL> ed
Wrote file afiedt.buf

  1* alter user el008 default role MSC
SQL> /
alter user el008 default role MSC
*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01919: role 'MSC' does not exist

SQL> select * from dba_roles where role ='MSC';

ROLE                           PASSWORD
MSC                            NO

SQL> ed
Wrote file afiedt.buf

  1* select * from dba_roles where role ='COMP3' SQL> /

ROLE                           PASSWORD
COMP3                          NO