Re: Oracle and healthcare software?

From: Wayfarer <Wayfar1_at_swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:58:03 GMT

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am aware some what firsthand about the new front of "digital" medicine -- it actually gets its start from the space program and the need to monitor them. But where it is really finding a market is in remote medicine -- to service areas that can not support traditional hospitals and services. While I was working as a QI person in Colorado (QI manager for a five state area for a major insurer) I had a great conversation with a fellow in the state health department who was overseeing a project where they could, via computers, provide services to remote areas. While I am not sure how Oracle databases would play a part in this, databases certainly are extremely important in about every aspect of a hospital or insurance companies functions though.

"QI"(Quality Improvement)/"QA"(Quality Assurance)/"TQM"(Total Quality Management) -- are all basically they same thing and came out of a man named Deming who was sent to Japan by the US government following WWII to help Japan rebuild. The most basic concept is that people want to do good and if there is a problem it is because of a process not people -- the biggest team player you can imagine. Deming believed that if given the opportunity, workers would take pride in their jobs and find solutions to problems. Teams (AKA Quality Circles) would meet to discuss ways to improve. It worked for Japan, Harley Davidson, Cadillac -- among a long list. It is truly wonderful to work for a place that actually uses these philosophies . . . but unfortunately what it has come to mean in America for the most part is auditing . . . querying databases to find problems . . . so I know the other side of the database very well -- when I decided to change careers it was my old MIS staffers that convinced me I would be good at this side of the database . . .

Thanks,

Marta