Re: Releasing an Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit application under the GPL

From: Stefaan A Eeckels <Stefaan.Eeckels_at_ecc.lu>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:42:18 +0200

In article <Pine.GSU.4.05.10109022303420.11606-100000_at_psyche.the-wire.com>,

        Austin Ziegler <aziegler_at_the-wire.com> writes:

> On 2 Sep 2001, Galen Boyer wrote:

>> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, mark.rittman_at_orange.net wrote:
>>> I've just had some feedback from someone who points out that
>>> issuing the program under the GPL actually limits it's
>>> usefulness to other oracle developers.

>> I don't understand how this is the case. Can you explain the
>> feedback you recieved in more detail?
>>
>> GPL is very compatible in a for-profit environment. What one
>> can't do is extend the GPL'd code and then call it their own.
>> What you can do, though, is include GPL'd code as part of a
>> for-profit package, although you are required to make the code
>> for the GPL'd code available to the purchaser. I don't know the
>> ruling on your code, but if you are like me, the customer paid
>> for me on a contract and they therefore own the code anyways. To
>> me, you get the best of both worlds here.
>
> Actually, if you include GPLed code within a commercial package, the
> WHOLE package must be released as GPLed. Your statement is incorrect;

Not if the package is an aggregation. For instance, it's quite OK to bundle gdb with a non-GPLed graphical front end, or write a GPLed GUI for a debugger with a commercial license such as dbx.

> additionally, the customer may not like the code that you've written to
> be GPLed because it also means that you can keep a copy of the code
> (legally) even though it is theirs. If you want your own approach, use
> the LGPL -- or better yet, a much better licence like the MPL.

If you've written software for someone else, and the contract stipulates that the copyright is theirs, then it is the decision of your customer to release the package under the GPL, and distribute it (to you). _If_ the customer lets you keep the copyright, there is in any case nothing they can do to stop you from re-using the code in whatever way you please.

The MPL is great when there is a central authority interested in guiding the project, and keeping control over forks or other derivatives. The GPL is better if you're looking for a developer community that adopts the project, and the originator isn't able or willing to continue supporting it, but hopes to benefit from its continued development. BSDL is great if you're interested in seeing your code used in as many places as possible.

--
Stefaan