Re: Releasing an Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit application under the GPL

From: Austin Ziegler <aziegler_at_the-wire.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:03:03 -0400

http://oracle.oreilly.com/utplsql/news/news.html has a mention that it's under the GPL.

> Just as an aside, why did you say 'more's the pity' when mentionin the GPL?
> It seems a good way of putting some useful code into the public domain.

First, it's not "public domain;" second, it's IMO one of the worst of the available so-called "free" or open source licences. Far better to use the LGPL if you really insist upon spreading the FSF's socio-political vision, because at least at that point you're not buying into the FSF's useless and illogical restrictions.

Better yet, consider something like the MPL or the equivalent.

-f

--
austin ziegler   * Ni bhionn an rath ach mar a mbionn an smacht
Toronto.ON.ca    * (There is no Luck without Discipline)