Re: Releasing an Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit application under the GPL

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2001 21:50:02 -0500

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, mark.rittman_at_orange.net wrote:

> I've just had some feedback from someone who points out that
> issuing the program under the GPL actually limits it's
> usefulness to other oracle developers.

I don't understand how this is the case. Can you explain the feedback you recieved in more detail?

GPL is very compatible in a for-profit environment. What one can't do is extend the GPL'd code and then call it their own. What you can do, though, is include GPL'd code as part of a for-profit package, although you are required to make the code for the GPL'd code available to the purchaser. I don't know the ruling on your code, but if you are like me, the customer paid for me on a contract and they therefore own the code anyways. To me, you get the best of both worlds here.

Also, for Oracle systems integrators/developers/DBA's, which is probably most everybody on this list, one can still make fine money installing and configuring and teaching GPL'd code, as well as help extending it.

> If this is the case, and given that I'm geniunely trying to put
> some code out to be of use to other people, what course of
> action should I follow?

I would say GPL'd code would be very nice.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.