Re: Who's internal ?

From: Randy Harris <harrisrATbignet.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 03:24:56 -0400

Well... This actually has changed quite a lot over the last few releases of Oracle. With Oracle 7, the only method was connect internal, then supply the internal password. Anyone that had the password and access to the system could connect internal.

Starting with Oracle 8, several new options were included, which, while adding a bit of setup complexity, offered a great deal more flexibility. The connect internal is still supported for backward compatibility, but Oracle can be configured to use OS authentication instead. Once configured, simply granting a user the OSOPER privilege, in the OS, permits the user to connect internal and startup and shutdown the db.

A completely different method is also available, using the ORAPWD utility. This utility creates and maintains a separate password file for Oracle's use. SYSOPER and SYSDBA privs can then be granted using ORAPWD. This method, though a bit tougher to set up, is considered the more secure.

HTH,
Randy Harris