Re: Archive

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:47:11 +0200

"Olivier VEIT" <oveit_at_infeurope.lu> wrote in message news:9mldgv$9a9$1_at_wanadoo.fr...
> Hello,
>
> I'am looking for a solution (oracle tool or programming) to archive a part
> (datas older than 3 years) from an Oracle DB (Production DB) to another
> Oracle DB (Archive DB).
> Remarque : Wenn using web interface with search form on production server,
> search must be donne on Production DB but also on Archive DB.
>
> My idea was to use the same DB model on production and Archive DB and to
> developp a tool enabling user on DB Production to Archive on Archive DB
> (Copy data on Archive DB and suppress from Production DB).
>
> Maybe you have a better idea ?
>
> Thank you

I would advise against it in *this* form (note the stress on this) It will involve database links between the two databases and union queries between the production db and the archive db. Doing so, it will be *dog* slow, at least *too slow* for a web interface. It looks like you are referring to 'database' in the sqlserver definition of the term.
You would do better by implementing an archive *schema* and a production schema in *one single database*.
This has some drawbacks too, but at least they will be less severe than in your approach.

However, the best way of course is to use Oracle 8i Enterprise edition with the partitioning option.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 08:47:11 CDT