Re: Help with Visual Basic "INSERT" statement

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2001 09:54:18 -0500

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, pixelmeow_at_aol.com wrote:

> I am using Visual Basic 6 to connect to an Oracle 8i database
> and add records.  I have a sequence defined, main_pkey, which
> increments the pkey field of the main table.  I have this code,
> using RDO, in VB, which updates the table main:

>       rs.rdoColumns("pkey").Value = main_pkey.nextval
>       rs.rdoColumns("title").Value = Decode(i).First.Title
>       rs.rdoColumns("onlink").Value = Decode(i).First.OnLink
>       rs.rdoColumns("northbc").Value = Decode(i).First.NorthBC
>
> Now, as you probably know, that first line doesn't work.  Does
> *anyone* here know how I can do this???

Is there a way to print out the SQL that is actually executing?

It needs to look something like:
update table set pkey = main_pkey.nextval, title = 'XXX', ...

,----[ HERE'S AN EXAMPLE ]
| SQL> create table test (fld1 int, fld2 varchar(5));
|
| Table created.
|
| SQL> insert into test values (test_seq.nextval, 'AA');
|
| 1 row created.
|
| SQL> update test set fld1 = test_seq.nextval, fld2 = 'BB';
|
| 1 row updated.
|
| SQL> select * from test;
|
| FLD1 FLD2
| ---------- -----
| 4 BB
|
| SQL> update test set fld1 = test_seq.nextval, fld2 = 'CC';
|
| 1 row updated.
|
| SQL> select * from test;
|
| FLD1 FLD2
| 5 CC

`----

I'm not sure what happens after the code is executed, but it needs to resolve to a statement like the update above.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.