Re: Help! ORA-00980: Synonym translation is no longer valid

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:27:17 +0200

"Vik Bhatia" <vik_at_netscape.com> wrote in message news:3B8BCFF4.ABA70EB0_at_netscape.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a java program that connects to a database, gets a bunch of data,
> processes it, and then updates another database. This used to work
> perfectly, until I had to recompile it with a different database connect
> string. Now, all I get is:
>
> Eror fetching data: ORA-00980: Synonym translation is no longer valid
>
> I've tried running the same SQL statements directly using sqlplus, and
> they work just fine. I'm using Forte IE 2.0 for development and the
> database is Oracle 8.1.6. Does anyone know why this error shows up in
> this case? Please help!
>
> Vik

The course for this error is that the object you created the synonym for no longer exists (synonyms are not dropped when the object is dropped) or you don't have privilege on it anymore.
You must be working in 2 different ways, from the database side there is no reason at all why it should work in sqlplus and not in other application. That said, I believe currently your provided insufficient background to reply with more than generic resolution above. You need to find out to what the synonym translates and whether that object exists and can be selected from.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 12:27:17 CDT