Re: DBMS_ output.put_line ERROR

From: Scott Mattes <ScottMattes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:18:02 GMT

There is no adequate solution to this in my opinion. Other programming languages have some way to output immediately, Oracle has this kludge called dbms_output. This waits until your script is finished before printing and it has a max limit of 1,000,000 bytes that it will hold. As you found out it is inadequate for anything but 'light' use.

In Reports I use a custom procedure that writes to a client side file using text_io (which is only available to forms and reports it seems).

Outside of reports/forms your choice is utl_file (as noted by others responding to your question). The problem with this is that the file is created on the server, so you need access to whatever system that is on and rights to view files in the directory where the DBA has established permission to write those files.

The other option seems to be another kludge where you write to a pipe that connects to some other process, but I am not clear on all the requirements for that.

Needless to say, at least from my standpoint, this shouldn't be.