Re: still cannot see data in tables - plz help

From: Lowell Paden <paden_lv_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:04:11 -0400

You need to install the help tables and data.

From Oracle's Metalink (Note:1054547.6): The SQL*Plus HELP facility can be created by performing the following steps: 1. Go to the following directory:

   % cd $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/help
2. Login to SQL*Plus as the user SYSTEM.

   % sqlplus system/<password>
3. Run the "helptbl.sql" script.

   SQL> @helptbl
4. Exit SQL*Plus and execute the following SQL*Loader commands:

   % sqlldr system/manager control=plushelp.ctl
   % sqlldr system/manager control=sqlhelp.ctl
   % sqlldr system/manager control=plshelp.ctl
5. Log back into SQL*Plus as the user SYSTEM and run the "helpindx.sql" script.

    SQL> @helpindx

"Louise" <louise_mc_dowell_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3b7f8938_1_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com...
> Thanks .... for the hint with the 'manual' .... trying to type HELP in sql
> plus ...I get the message 'no acces to help'
>
> by the way .... I have granted access to PUBLIC ... therefore I shouldn't
> have to type in the schema as well ...or should I ??!!
>
> as it works fine now with just tablename.colname - and I am glad about!!
>
> I have got the table cols mixed in a connecting table so the second table
> never showed up as the query wasn't correct anymore..
>
> thought I could save some time in using my old scripts ...... rather than
> creating new ones with the data and colnames exported from access
>
> yeap ... I have to admit ... that was rather silly!!
>
> how can I get the 'HELP' working when typed in SQL PLUS ??? or am I wrong
> here again??
>
> Louise
>

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Louise" <louise_mc_dowell_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > When starting up that application I get a message:
> > >
> > > java.sql.SQL.Exception: ORA-00942: Table or View not available
> > >

> > > When using SQL Plus I can see all the data in all tables!!
> > >
> > > the strange thing is that it must be somehow accessible as the boxes
get
> > > filled ..... what have I done wrong .. or what have I missed???
> > >
> > You didn't create any private or public synonyms so now your selects
need
> > read select * from tutor.foo, note the tutor. part.
> >

> > > I am struggeling along all day now .... and do not get anywhere...
your