Re: shutdown immediate or abort for cold-backup?

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlunspam-world.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:48:26 +0100

There is no effective difference wrt database corruption between:

shutdown abort
startup restrict
shutdown immediate

and

shutdown abort
backup the database
restore the database
startup restrict
shutdown immediate

What you are actually saying is that ANY use of shutdown abort carries the risk of corrupting the database. It's not much of a database if that is the case.