Re: Recover with RESETLOGS

From: Hieraklion <hieraklion_at_spray.fr>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:34:42 +0200

"Bonjour" from Paris,

I have the book and I confirm that there is a workaround to recover through resetlogs in particular cases (p 514).

It's quite strange (!!!) and assume :

Warning from the book :

This is not an alternative for not backing up your database after a reset logs ! This method should be used only in emergencies.

The method is :

Point A : Before the resetlogs. A backup from A (and no other backup after this point). Point B : Base started with the resetlogs option and another failure occured at point C.

It needs :

select RESETLOGS_CHANGE# -1 from v$database;

The SCN number in the alert.log and the SCN from the query should return the same number.

Hints :

Danger :

It is possible (but not likely) that you have conflicting archive log sequence numbers (i.e the same log sequence number from before the resetlogs point and after the resetlogs). You must be very careful not to overwrite one with other, especially if they are not backed up.

.... well ... "Bonne chance" (Good luck)

And tell methe result ... and send a champagne bottle if it succeeds ;-)

"Au revoir" from Paris
Christophe Brault.