Re: Newbie with SQL Plus Password Problems

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 17 Aug 2001 03:25:56 -0700

Stefanie Burnham <stefburn2_at_home.com> wrote in message news:<3B7CC366.5B105188_at_home.com>...
> Ok, I've just installed Oracle 8.1.6 Internet on my computer. I did a
> custom install because I kept getting stuck when it was installing
> vt.jar.
> Anyway, when I bring up SQL Plus, I try typing in as the user: System
> and as the password: Manager...get an error message. Try typing in
> other things nothing works.
> I didn't get a prompt to build a username and password during install
> either. So, how do I create a password for SQL Plus.
> I have the Standard edition of Oracle 8i.
> I have it installed on Windows 98 Second editiion.
> I have 128 MB RAM.
> 9 Gb free.
> 650 MHz processor
> Pentium III
>
> Is there something that I am missing.
>
> stef

Sorry to say so, but you are using a version for NT and they don't work on win9x. Win9x software is compatible with NT, not the other way around.
Please take time to read carefully what you obtained, and take time to post *exact* error messages, not 'get an error message' You need to obtain Personal Oracle 8i for windows 98, or upgrade to NT/win2k.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Aug 17 2001 - 05:25:56 CDT