Re: shutdown immediate or abort for cold-backup?

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlunspam-world.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:54:06 +0100

The idea that a backup after a shutdown abort is dangerous is crap. It can only be true if there is some bug in the mechanisms oracle uses to cope with e.g. power outage.

In my experience, shutdown immediate stopped being reliable round about version 6 - it's forever hanging.

Your best bet is to switch to a hot backup so that the database is not shut down at all. Failing that you should revert to your earlier approach of shutdown abort, startup restrict, shutdown immediate.

Remember: the dba's job is to support YOU.

Sack him and get someone who knows what they're talking about and understands what customer service is.