Increased server process memory usage for Oracle 8i

From: Matthew Crump <crumpm_at_britannic.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:38:02 +0100

We are in the process of evaluating Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 with a view to upgrading from our current Oracle 8.0.5.2.1, due to the latter now being desupported on our server platform.

Our databases reside on an IBM Numa-Q platform running Dynix/ptx 4.4.8

I have compared the memory usage of the UNIX server process associated with a SQL*NET client/server connection between the two database versions.

In both cases I merely connected to the database using SQL*PLUS and performed no further operations.

The connection to a 8.0.5.2.1 database had a resident set size of 8.4Mb, the connection to an 8.1.7.0.0 database had a resident set size of 12.6Mb, a 50% increase.

Oracle support have stated that the 'ps' command on Dynix/ptx does not accurately report the resident set size of a process, but have also stated that they have seen a 30% increase for connections on Digital UNIX.

My question is, has anyone else who has upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 noticed a significant increase in the memory usage of server processes for client/server processes ?.

Thanks,
Matthew. Received on Thu Aug 16 2001 - 10:38:02 CDT