Weird Connection behavior

From: Fred Bloggs <g00gl3n3ws_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2001 17:17:13 -0700

I have a strange situation where I can connect to the server using sqlplus and ott quite happily. But when I use the exact same connect string in a Pro*C app I get an invalid username or password error.

Precisely the error is:

   ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

I reiterate that the exact same connect string works with the Oracle tools on the same client machine and server. The only difference I can see is that the Oracle tools appear to be statically linked whereas the Pro*C apps need to be dynamically linked with libclntsh.so

I admit that this particular setup is a little convoluted, but there is a good reason for it ;-)

    Server: Solaris8 Sparc Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise and Programmer

    Client: Solaris8 X86 guest in VMware 2.0.4 on Mandrake 8.0 host

             Oracle 8.1.5 Client and Programmer

The response is definitely coming back from the server, so the client is able to communicate with the server (I snooped the net traffic to make sure).

Everything else about this setup works perfectly. Go figure!

Here's the tnsnames.ora from the client:

MYTEST =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraserver)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = ORCL)

    )
  )

And here's the listener.ora from the server:

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
(PROTOCOL_STACK =
        (PRESENTATION = TTC)
        (SESSION = NS)
      )

    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraserver)(PORT = 1521))
(PROTOCOL_STACK =
        (PRESENTATION = TTC)
        (SESSION = NS)
      )

    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraserver)(PORT = 2481))
(PROTOCOL_STACK =
        (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
        (SESSION = RAW)
      )

    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = /opt/OraHome1)
(PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = mytest.oradomain)
(ORACLE_HOME = /opt/OraHome1)
(SID_NAME = ORCL)

    )
  )

Anybody got any insight(s) into this strange state of affairs?

TIA. Received on Wed Aug 15 2001 - 19:17:13 CDT